Sunday, May 20, 2007

Y2K Flashbacks

I was just sitting back remembering the hysteria that surrounded the second biggest event of the last decade. Y2K! Y'all remember that? I was a programmer for a major retailer at the time. We had prepared all the computer systems for the new calendar by changing all the date logic FOR 18 MONTHS! Projects put on hold, vice presidential then CIO approval to system changes and all that.

The entire IT organization separated into three teams, one for each eight hour shift, for 24/7 monitoring. I got the midnight shift. That lasted for two days. Because nothing happened. Not one damn thing! In fact the system was so damn stable that even the usual problems seemed to be afraid to happen at that time. My company was not the only one that prepared for the date change. But America still thought that the computer systems were gonna crash and Dark Angel or some shit was gonna happen. Now that I look back at it, I am kinda offended that America didn't trust me and others like me to have really earned our pay.

America! The Information Technology infrastructure laughed at you on 01/01/2000. And you made it easy. But the media was the biggest joke. I bet the canning and water bottling industries put them up to it.

So tell me. What dumb things did you do to prepare?

3 comments:

Beana said...

not a dang blasted thing? I was pregnant and miserable at the time. Dealing with some drama that I was too damn old to be dealin wit. I was up watching tv waiting to see what happened. When the lights and the Tv continued to work, i picked up the phone...still had dial tone...life went on LOL

Jazzy said...

I work in an I.T. department so I remember only too well, just how many hours my team mates had to put in, which included sleeping at work and using the shower in one of the executive offices on a floor that most of them under normal circumstances wouldn't have access to.

For me, I stocked up on can goods, purchased a manual can opener, stocked up on water and batteries (for my flashlight, little radio and other devices...hehehe).

At precisely 12:01 am, I called my bank to make sure all was still good...it was. I was so mad for not going out...that I just went to sleep.

Coko Mulan said...

first time here.. I was 13... andy2k scared me.. and I just remember filling the bathtub up with water having every plastic bottle we had ever used filled up with water... and stealing cans of food everytime my mama went to the grocery store.. needless to say.. that was sooo unnecessary lol