Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Playing Field Not Leveled, Part 2

The playing field is most definitely NOT leveled. How is it that an inner city youth with more than the average level of smarts can fail in college? Okay it is actually genius level intelligence. Because that youth is sitting in a class full of other inner city youths. These other youths who have been crippled by too little attention. Too little attention paid and too little attention given. So genius youth sits in a class learning the same lesson for the sixth time, that he learned the first time, while the others catch up. Genius youth instead lets his mind wander onto the many other wonderful things that his mind can absorb to keep him from losing interest. This of course makes it too easy for him to get by. High school graduation comes and goes. He wins the best scholarship that one of the best HBCUs in the country has to offer. He falls flat on his damn face. How could such a thing ever happen if the playing field was ever level??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm interesting topic...

Level playing field seems to be null and void

Tafari said...

This playing field sounds familiar but I will not call myself out.

Bygbaby

Jazzy said...

I'm going through this right now actually. This is my last class to graduation and it's a general class that I should have had in my very first semester or at least some time that year, but I was just too busy getting my business classes out of the way.

So now I'm in class with a bunch of 13th graders basically. These kids don't want to learn shit, they come to class smelling like weed, they disrupt the class coming in late then wanna bother me for paper and a pen, so the professor dumbs down the lesson.

I'm getting an "A", and I have learned some stuff I didn't know, but seriously if he made it any easier, I think he'd be putting his license at risk.

Coko Mulan said...

Of course the playing field is not level. A lot of these schools say they want diversity and they let a bunch of "underpriveleged" kids in who they know are behind but have potential but when they can't handle the workload what do they do? Take they money and kick they asses out... this is why people started advocating for my school to have a transitioning program which was working wonderfully until Ward Connerly came thru Michigan and took affirmative action away..

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

I see ya feel where I am going with this, and where I have been.