Monday, May 05, 2008

The Ghosts

This one was an interesting one. He was hiding out in an abandoned industrial park. But he got found. For some reason he thought he was safe. He wasn't. Maybe it was the remote location. Maybe it was the grip of guards around him. Maybe he was just arrogant like that. Who knows?

We were supposed to get in, get him and get out. Nothing fancy. Nothing spectacular.

I love night-ops. Night vision makes them stand out REALLY good. Real easy pickings. The odds seemed stacked in their favor. Fifty eleven to two. But the odds have been known to be wrong...

Insertion was to the southwest. Me and my partner split at the stream. Him on the north bank. Me on the south. After a couple of tense minutes sneaking around in the dark, contact. Smoking on guard duty. Not the smartest bunch of corpses. Bam, bam, bam. These dudes are slippin'. This may be easier than I thought. Onward. I clear the south bank with not too much more resistance than that. My partner gets done on the north bank and heads inside the fence. I check around one more time and hurry to catch up.

My partner is already going right so I go left. I wonder if we are gonna find him outside or will we have to clear the buildings. I stop wondering real quick when the patrol turns around the corner. I am positive the look of shock and mild panic that they are wearing is mirrored in mine. Unfortunately for them my gun was already up and on target. I HATE close encounters like that. I finish checking and clearing the side of the building. Satisfied that nobody is left over there, I beat it back to provide cover.

Just as I spot my partner, I realize he is a little busy. Gun down, grenade out, pin out, reach back, jerk, drop... Damn! Somebody else saw him too! BANG! No use hoping he is merely wounded now.

Things are a lot less safe now. I carefully search the area and find the guilty party. I hold the trigger down for an extra half second. Just because...

Thoughts of heading back for extraction start running through my mind. But first I gotta deal with whatever he was about to throw that grenade into. No use in leaving somebody to shoot me in the back as I beat the hell up outta the joint. I check his last area of interest and what do I find? Objective #1! Seems that self preservation and finishing the mission are running down the same road. And I really can't believe he is outside in a tent! But I do see why the grenade was needed. He got like 10 guards around him. I ready my trusty grenade launcher and fire one toward the largest bunch of guards. Reload and the next drops just short of the tent. Before I can get another guns start firing. None close so they don't know where I am. I unload the first clip into the tent. Got him! I unload a second clip around the tent. I reload and check for movement. Nobody moving so I do. And run like hell! Out the fence and down the depression into the stream. No use in being a good target for them. As the Blackhawk landed, I couldn't help thinking that there would only be beer for one this time...

That was pretty much my Sunday. And some other days when I am on my computer and not blogging.

This is HQ=NepLou signing off from the world of Ghost Recon!

5 comments:

Jazzy said...

*rolling my eyes*

boys and their toys!!

Bananas said...

Can't get into Ghost Recon.

But then again...I've played the non-video game version.

That'll have to do.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Yep Diva. You done said it all!

Yeah Terry. I figured that is pretty much the response you would have to this post. Of course ain't no way I wanna trade. Although I did try a lifetime ago...

Miss Snarky Pants said...

Yep...This reads like you've got it bad!! [LOL].

Freaky Deaky said...

Never really tried the first person shooters. They look too detailed or more accurately like the learning curve is just too high. Yeah, I'm lazy. LOL