Thursday, August 21, 2008

Woodward Dream Cruisin'

I spent the weekend out with my family. The wife is in the automotive industry. So she managed to get us some really sweet VIPage this weekend. We went to the Woodward Dream Cruise as guests of the Eaton Corporation. Which meant we got freebies! T-shirt, Official 1/64 scale Dream Cruise Shelby Mustang replica, and FOOD!!! Not to mention that Eaton's guest compound was right in cruiser central at 13 mile and Woodward!

Got up early and headed to the shuttle. The wife remarked that we wasted more gas goint to the shuttle than to the actual event. But hey, somebody else was driving and the shuttle parking was free! We got to drool over dozens of well maintained cars in the park. Us parents watched with great amusement as the children almost fell in the ground with the pain of being born way too late as we went down the list of rides our parents had. The Girl Child nearly fell over when I walked her by a '71 GTO that was a lot like the one my mom had back in the day. And then she nearly twisted up in a convulsion when the next car was much like the '73 Mach 1 my dad had. And of course we did the necessary exaggerations about cars arriving for minutes when passing the late '60's and early '70's LTDs that our fathers owned. Yeah. They were born way too late! Did I mention the Monte Carlos?

The sound of a NASCAR engine revving high was like a siren call to the dozens of car heads strolling through the park in the late morning. One of the big motor oil makers had a dyno display set up with a Nextel Cup car running on it. 750 horsepower is a beautiful sound I tell ya!

On to eat! Hot dogs, hamburgers, Italian sausages (foot long), grilled chicken, three different mayo salads, garden salad, chips (potato and tortilla) and I tried to eat them all! And they had water and pop (no, not soda dammit) galore! So many that my Ghetto Girl Child decided that she was thirsty and decided to collect one of each (8 kinds...) prompting us to say "That's G" all day. "G" meaning ghetto as hell! Did I mention they had desert? Fruit (melons, grapes and such) Pastries (cake, cookies, brownies) and ICE CREAM!!! They had Dove bars up in there! And Good Humor!!! I think I gained five pounds and three shades eating outside.

After we finished putting the feed bag on, we waddled toward the real action. Slobbered over a few more rides and hit the main drag. I think that cars from pretty much every decade were well represented on Woodward that day. Rumble seats, racing slicks, neon paint, land yacts from earlier days, an old Checker cab, VW busses (hippie vintage), a car with a circuit board surface, a protester with a sign asking if we have been saved, Smart cars and even an Urkel Mobile (BMW Isetta)! And MANY many many many Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, Firebirds, Chargers, Challengers and Corvettes of MANY years!

A good time was had by all. So we caught an early (5:00 p.m.) shuttle back to the car to beat the rush. Strangely enough we left around the same time they stopped passing out food. Imagine that! But I managed to be fat and full and with 2/3 of my summer coloring by the time we got back in. I had to say it was a good day!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

**popping in Nelly cd**

"I am number one
Two is not a winner
And 3 nobody remembers"

What a wonderful day out with the fam. I like "G". You talking about her but I bet you will drink one of those pops she bagged.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

I might have if they were diet. But we all did mention that we were thirsty all day because she said she took ALL of them "...just in case somebody got thirsty, then I got you!"

Jazzy said...

lol @ Southern!

"I think I gained five pounds and three shades eating outside." lolololol!! Hey it was free...you might as well! Hmmmph...i'm with the girl child on that one. I think I would have been a weeeeeeee bit more subtle though! lol

Sounds like you all had a great family day out...good stuff!

nikki said...

hehehe@graining five pounds and three shades. i was actually sitting here visualizing you going three shades darker. u DID have on sun screen, right? BLACK FOLK GET SKIN CANCER TOO.

aiight, done with my public service announcement.

hoarding the SODA?!? SODA! SODA! SODA!

damn, pop is either MUSIC or my DAD.

Otis said...

I made out to the cruise about the time you were leaving, lol

i love old cars....my buddy has a 72' Grand Prix SSJ that he really needs to get on the road.

stepdad had a 73' Delta 88. Convertible....again, fools need to get there cars on the road!!!

saw a 77' 2 door caprice....black on black...just a wonder!!!


And lastly, i know ima cross paths with you one day in the D!! lol

LadyLee said...

Heck, I gained 5 pounds and a few shades from just reading that! LOL

Glad you had a good time with the fam! Bet you're all refreshed now!

-Q. said...

Fun shit bro, you said it best.. Family fun and some god ole automobiles.. Good times

first time in but definately not the last.. -Q.

MsKayotic said...

If you was at a car show...you lucky man.

I love me some old cars. I'm glad the girl child is getting exposed to some of those great classics.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ OD - Yeah. That was the thing. She was not at all subtle. I could see a few trips with one in each hand. But she just went from container to container getting her jack on!

Yep! Free and filling and GOOD! I think I still got two of those shades too.

@ Nikki - Sunscreen? Uh... Sun...
Soda is something that is served up at a fountain by a jerk! You come here asking for one of those and you are likely to get a bottle of fizzy water!

@ Big O - Bet that Caprice was cold as ice. We will likely meet up one day.

@ Ladylee - Yep. I think that is what inspired yesterday's post. Although the demon folk tried to rain on my parade.

@ Q - Make sure you do come back! The more the merrier!

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ Kayos - If you ever come to Detroit in August the third Saturday is a good day to be here! It is the biggest participatory car show/parade around. I think there were thousands of cars of various vintages and about 1.2 million spectators along the stretch.

Anonymous said...

Next year I'll have to see if I can get a hookup like you did. If I can I might have to go, well depending on the weather. Gaining weight and getting darker are signs of a good time. LOL!

There weren't any half nekkid chicks waxing cars were there? That would definitely cause me to go...and take lots of pictures for my personal collection.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

No naked chicks waxing cars. At least not where I was anyway... I am still almost kinda mad that I didn't get to Mustang Alley down at 9 mile. I heard that Jack Roush pulled a couple out of his personal collection in addition to a couple of his products being there!