Thursday, June 05, 2008

GOOOOO WIIIINNNNGGGGSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Lord Stanley is again a resident of his favorite city in the United States. The best hockey team in U.S. history are again the kings of the sport. I am so thrilled!!! I might even get to touch it again!!! My second favorite team just erased 99.5% of the disappointment I feel for my favorite team. Four championships in 11 years ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Lemme see. That makes the tally for championships in my lifetime by local teams (city and state):

  • Hockey: 14 - Red Wings 4 (NHL), Vipers 1 (IHL), Wolverines 2 (NCAA), Spartans 2 (NCAA), Huskies 1 (Michigan Tech, NCAA), Lakers 3 (Lake Superior State, NCAA), Wildcats 1 (Northern Michigan, NCAA)
  • Basketball: 8 - Pistons 3 (NBA), Shock 2 (WNBA), Spartans 2 (NCAA), Wolverines 1 (NCAA)
  • Baseball: 3 - Tigers 2 (MLB), Wolverines 1 (NCAA, Softball)
  • Football: 11 - Panthers 1 (USFL), Danger (Demolition) 1 (NWFA), Demolition 3 (NWFA) 1 (IWFL), Wolverines 1 (NCAA), Drive 4 (AFL)
  • Fencing: 11 - Tartars Women 3 (Wayne State, NCAA), Tartars Men 7 (Wayne State, NCAA), Titans 1 (NCAA)
I think there have been several others winning in other leagues and sports that have come and gone... And I especially mention the fencing because of my school! You can get ya ass expertly skewered fucking around on my campus... Oh yeah and the Tartars have since been renamed the Warriors because nobody knew what the heck the Tartars were...

For a teeny little post it sure took a long time. Too much research... Signing off...

8 comments:

dejanae said...

sigh
sports
why?
walks away grumbling

Minerva Exertion said...

Wow talk about research! I don't see the Lions in that tally. Nah...I can't even joke. The only pro team to win a championship in good old NC is the Carolina Hurricanes (NHL). Now if you want to break down college teams...that will take a while. A looooong while. ACC Rocks!

The Addict said...

Minerva, I don't know you, but as a fellow NC native I have to support your comment. Go Canes! Every one else is sort of...? But ACC is glory road! Bragging rights all day!

68-thought about you first thing thing this morning as I watched the highlights on Mike & Mike. Congrats to your Wings.

PS-we are are always looking for researchers in Bristol. You could put those skills to good use ;)

Desy said...

omgosh really? you've spent the time looking those up?... and if those results were off the cuff, then i'm really labeling you the sports king (especially for the fencing stat)...

Rashan Jamal said...

Are you saying you like Michigan sports? I can;t quite tell. LOL

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ Dejanae - Because gladiatorial games would be considered murder and are illegal. Gotta have something to root for!

@ Minerva - I am sure there were a few more, but I was getting sleepy. And even though I am a homer, I got love for the Hurricanes since they work for the same guy I used to.

@ The Addict - Why thank you for thinking of me. I like having burned me into you consciousness so that I come to mind when my teams do good! Or when I do good.

Researchers huh?

@ Desy - I can't claim to be the sports king. But I do have a fairly large store of trivial knowledge hanging around. So watch yaself if Jeopardy is on! The professional championships I can quote off hand. The College stuff I had to look up. And mind you, all that is since I have been here. It doesn't count those won before I was born.

@ Rashan - Yeah. It does show slightly I guess. I am still waiting for the Hotlanta teams to really catch fire. My second home and all...

Freaky Deaky said...

I was kind of disappointed when Wayne State changed their team names. I like the Tartars, it was different. Warriors are so generic, even though a warrior is basically a more generic and bland description of a Tartar anyway.

The Pistons will be back in the Eastern conference finals next year. Depending on how we do off season (i.e. trades and new coach) I think we'll even whoop up on whoever wins the Western division. Well as long as it's not Utah. They so have our number. LOL

Jazzy said...

all this is waaaaaaaaaaay over my head...hugs and kisses!