Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Conversation With A Bill Collector

The Key:
Thoughts and reactions...
The Bill Collector
The Second Sixty-Eight


"Hello, is this Second?"

Damn, awful familiar ain'tcha?
"Uh... Yeah."
"My name is Marvin. I am from the Get Money collection agency"
"O-kay..."
"I am calling to day to discuss your bill with Schlums Department stores."
"Mmm Hmm..."
"And let me just say that this call may be monitored for quality control purposes."
"Fine"
"And we are a debt collection agency and any information will be used for purposes of collecting a debt"
"Right"
"So, Second, you have an outstanding balance of a trillion simoleons with Schlums"
Damn, whatever happened to Mr. Sixty-Eight?
"Right"
"How are you gonna pay this today"
"Uh huh..." <~~~ sounding very amused...
"I'm sorry, did I say something funny?"
"Well. Kinda."
"What did I say?"
"The part where you assumed I have a trillion simoleons and am just waiting for you to ask nicely before I remit payment."
"Ah. I did not intend to amuse. I am simply trying to resolve a matter for my client. Which is a win-win for everyone because they get their money and you will not have negative items put on your credit report."
Really? Like the ones put on there the last six months in a row?
"I understand that. But it was still funny nonetheless. But really, if I HAD a trillion simoleons just laying around, do you think WE would be having this conversation?"
"Hey, I am just doing my job."
"That is cool. At least you got a job. Some of us don't"
"Um..."
"And I understand it is your job to call people and try to get the books balanced..."
"Good. So then you will send..."
"Hey! I was not done speaking!"
"Sorry, but I get folk wanting to explain all the time!"
"And you are still interrupting."
"Sorry, go on..."
"Thank you! As I was saying, I understand it is your job to balance the books. HOWEVER, I am in no position to help you resolve this matter."
"So are you saying that you WON'T pay it?"
"No. I am saying that I CAN'T pay it."
"Why are you reluctant to satisfy this debt?"
"Um... Maybe you are misunderstanding me. Reluctant and unable are two completely different concepts."
"So why are you unable to pay today?"
"Because I am not employed. And have no source of income."
"Why don't you have a job? Are you looking for one?"
"Yes and no."
"Which is it? Yes or no?"
"Nehmind..."
"So how do you eat? You are on a phone. How do you manage all that?"
"The kindness of others, and we will leave it at that."
"Well can you get it from them?"
"Nope"
"I can't imagine having someone else taking care of me."
"Not so hard when you actually try."
"I don't get it."
"Sigh... I am taking care of my disabled mother. Since she needs pretty much around the clock care, I can't just up and leave for hours and hours at a time. Hence no job. Hence no income. Therefore SHE takes care of the food and such."
"Oh. I'm sorry."
"Hey, it happens."
"Well do you think you can get it from her?"
** crickets **
"No."
"Why not?"
"It ain't her debt. She is doing more than enough already. We poor. And her fixed income shortens the priority list up quite a bit."
"So you won't ask her."
"I won't even consider asking. Besides if it ain't about survival or taking care of her needs, it ain't getting spent."
"Well can you borrow it from somebody else?"
"No"
"Why not?"
Is he really serious?
"Listen man, I don't have the money or the means to pay you. Why would I go and ask someone for the money knowing I don't have the means to give it back! Isn't that kinda the reason why we are having this conversation?"
"Maybe they want to help."
"That wanting to help thing pretty much stops at food and shelter. Times are hard, folk ain't got the money to pay somebody else's bills. Whose bills are you paying?"
"Hey, I work for a living. I can't pay nobody else's bills. That is what jobs are for. But this ain't about me."
"So you see my point then."
"Well, do you have some land you can sell then?"
"Land?"
"Yes. Some property you can sell to generate funds to pay this debt."
** more crickets **
"Damn! Lemme break it down for ya dude! I AM BROKE! I live in tha hood. I got no money. No way of getting money. I have no asset that... I have no COMBINATION of assets that could pay this bill! NOR would I sell everything I had to pay something that will not affect my continuing survival on this planet. I am so far down the list of needs that all this conversation serves it to entertain me! If I sell ANYTHING it will be for keeping myself off of the street and from starving. And before you ask, NO! I ain't gonna go stand on no damn corner while she is sleeping either!!!"
"Look man! I gotta job to do..."
"Yeah. You said that. A piece of friendly advice. Don't do your job here until like next year. Maybe then things will have changed for the better and I might be in a position to work something out..."
"Well. I will call you next month."
"That's fine. But don't be offended if you get the answering machine. I get mail from you guys all the time. So I couldn't forget this if I wanted to!"
"Thank you Mr. Sixty-Eight. Hope things work out for you."
"You have a nice day then..."
Tha fucka! Mr. Sixty-Eight at the end? Tha damn nerve. It ain't like I owe THEM! They bought it from the people that Schlums sold it to...

17 comments:

Dreamy said...

lmao at u, I used to mess with them and get them mad! It was so fun back then, now I just deny my debt! In my state they have to get rid of it in 3yrs, LOL. Them bastards think we are stupid but I know the law!

If u want them to stop calling, just write the a formal letter and they have to stop!

Hope u have a wonderful weekend

Dreamy

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Really. Because I was told that they can sell the debt to someone else and the clock gets reset on the sale date! Not that I care... I am too poor to pay them anydamnway!

LadyLee said...

I hate bill collectors. I had isshas with them while I was in school and when I was married. WORSE argument with a bill collector: 12 yrs ago-the ex-husband had bounced a check at the local liquor store for 69 bucks. They were all on ME about it. I remember snapping hard and telling them, "I drink 3 dollar Boone's farm and the OE, you bastid!" My ex liked that expensive stuff, not me.

What I've learned. Hang up on them jokers. I don't even answer the phone these days if it's a toll free number or a number I don't know.

The calls these days: bill collectors doing cold calls looking for someone with my last name, then wanna fuss when I say they got the wrong number. HUMPH.

I'm in a finance group right now. You gotta tell them folks that they are below the line. Pay your essentials first... Bump them.

Tom_Gurl said...

I simply don't answer my phone to unfamiliar or private numbers...

That conversation was wrong on so many levels-but I tell ya-you have the patience of a saint...he would have been hung up on a long while ago!!

Beana said...

all u gotta do is answer the phone and tell them that sixty-eight just got a 10 year bid...that means u can call erryday for the next 10 years but dude is locked the fvck up. They wont bother you anymore lol

so i've heard.

laughing808 said...

That is so funny....I really needed that laugh.

Nothing like debt collectors calling, and using them to entertain you.....LOL

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ Ladylee - You unnastan? I didn't wanna have to break down the list of priorities and all. I didn't want him to feel inadequate or something. Usually I don't answer the phone. And the only way I end up on the phone with them these days is if somebody who ain't got no bidness answering my phone picks it up. Or for entertainment purposes.
I am quick to "HUH? You mean you aren't calling about my resume?" And then get really indignant that they aren't!

@ Tom_Gurl - They got some damn nerve, that's for sure. I usually don't answer either. But once in a while I feel the need for a little impromptu debate...

@ I Am J - Hmmm... That may be just as good! I like that...

@ Laughing808 - Yeah. I love steering them run into walls where the only conclusion they can come to is that they are wasting their time with me...

Dreamy said...

they can sell your debt to whomever they want to sell the debt to. as long as you deny it or dont claim then they have to get rid of it when the statue in your state is up.

if u claim it, then it starts over from there. my mom is going through some stuff with some collectors and she brought a book. in the book it explains what your rights are and what the credit card or collectors have the right to do and not do.

if you write a formal letter telling them to stop calling they have no choice but to stop, it is the law.

they cant be rude and they are not supposed to harrass you.

ill find out the name of the book

anywho honey i hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

dreamy

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Thanks sweets. I ain't really worried about them. But they do serve to entertain...

Miss Snarky Pants said...

That was a long and funny conversation...

I say better you than me...Hell I wastes no time in cussin' every last one of out!!

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Yeah. But cussin' them out early takes all the fun out of it. And I let them try to do their jobs without giving them too much shit on occasion.

CapCity said...

" "Well can you borrow it from somebody else?"" At that point I woulda said: Yea - U, mufrkah!

I've enjoyed my share of rants with rude bill collectors. I usually laugh at dey azzes & cuss 'em out! i understand u gotta job to do - but rudeness will not help get it done.

Free Your Mind Online said...

I'm lovin this post. The only thing you left out was

"Schlums was dumb for loanin me a trillion simoleons. I never said I'd pay it back in the first place!

And you all are double dumb for buyin it from them. If I couldn't or didn't pay them, what makes you think I could or will pay you?

I mean, my cousin owe me $100 dollars right now! How many of my relatives do you think would be stupid enough to pay me $80 and then try to chase my cousin down to get the money I couldn't get so they can get the extra $20? Now my cousin just got over on TWO people!

I mean, I aint tryin to insult your job or nuthin.... but I'm just sayin."

Ok, but on a serious note. When a collection agency comes after you, it is a beautiful thing. BY LAW... a collection agency has no right to collect anything from you unless you agree to it in writing.

The only ones you are obligated to is the original creditor. So you can send them a letter letting them know that it is fraudulent and if they don't get rid of the debt, you can come after them! I have done this before.

Peace IN!

Unknown said...

I had the same dang conversation w/ one of them! He could not understand how I could not ask the kind people in my life for $ for the bill but I would for food & rent money. Because fool...they are necessity...your bill is not.

I have waited out a debt before can do that crap again.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ Cap - Yeah. they leave so much good material it ain't funny. Or is depending on who it is...

@ Brown - See. You understand what is going on! I may have to steal that one next time I decide to grace one of them with my dulcet tones.

And thanks for the tip!

@ Moody - Whoa! A MOODY Gemini? Isn't that an oxymoron? Anyway...
Yeah. They like to get their bad cop thing on all the time. They figure if they can intimidate you that you will fork over some cash. But they don't know I am Nigga-From the Hood Nigga! The only thing they can do is fuck up my credit report. And if they bothered to read the sumbitch BEFORE they called, they might not wanna waste their time...

That be the funniest part of the convo. "If you don't at least make some arrangements we are gonna HAVE to put negative items on your credit report"
"Okay, just know that it won't matter to me until I got enough income where buying houses and cars becomes important..."

The Addict said...

Wow! That was hilarious. They just don't get it do they?

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

No they don't. Especially not my money. Now I am wondering why they didn't get the memo that times be hard (at least around these parts)?