Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Sometimes The Sun Shines...

Yesterday was the first test to determine whether I should really consider my bike obsession. The first of the two riding tests were yesterday. On a blazing hot 92 degree day. I was a little unsure of how I would do because I was getting most frustrated on some of the exercises the last two days. My wife and sis-in-law were feeling much the same way. Our three attitudes were different yesterday. Me: I am gonna pass this damn class dammit!!!! Wifey: I am proud I got it going and didn't drop the thing! SIL: I ain't never been this frustrated with ANYTHING ever! Of course I was feeling much like she did but I didn't want to hear myself SAY such things. Didn't want to talk myself into failure. I had been telling them both, and me too, not to worry because sometimes it clicks late and you may have a good day come test time.

Sooooo... An hour of practice on new and old stuff. Then BAM! They spring the test on us. U-turn-in-a-box. Actually TWO U-turns in a box. Only did this right in practice once! Test time I strayed across the line on the second turn a WEEEEE little bit. Second Part. Obstacle avoidance. Didn't have any trouble with this one after the instructor told me to slow down! Test time, nailed it! Third part, Hard braking. Had been stopping too long in practice. Test time, you would think I hit a wall as fast as that damn thing stopped. Fourth part. Cornering. This required a shift, 90 degree turn, acceleration, breaking and a 135 degree turn. A lot of stuff went into this one. This had me frustrated during practice about as much as them damn U-turns! I almost thought they were gonna throw me outta class during drills for this one. Test time, was the ONLY time I did the breaking portion correctly. Almost fucked the turn up thinking. So I told myself "Fuck it! Ride the damn bike already!!!!"

The test was scored from zero to a bunch. Zero was a perfect score, 15 being the highest passing score. My score, a three. Damn U-turn!!! One violation on the whole course! I almost think I can ride now! The wife passed on one violation too, although costlier. The SIL let frustration get the best of her. I know she got the skills. Missed passing by three. But hey, she can take that part of the class over for free. Six more hours of range time and retest and she is good. Not a bad deal!

Today the OTHER riding test and the written test. Wish me luck y'all!

side note: Glad I didn't take the Harley-Davidson class. They use the EXACT same instruction book and charge $300 more! I would have been one MAD brotha!

4 comments:

Miss Snarky Pants said...

Good luck on the tests! :-D

Bananas said...

I wish you luck. It's been years since I took that test. I'm not sure I could pass it now.

Truth is, I cheated when i took mine back in the day. I used a friend's Honda 125 to make sure I could stay in the little circle. If I had took it on a bigger bike, I'da been toast.

Ride Safe

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Um... My man Terry. I have to disagree. That is not considered cheating. That is using the proper equipment for the task at hand. I made sure I was on a more maneuverable bike for my test too!

Thanks for the well wishes both of you! I am on my way to post the part 2!

Jazzy said...

The hard part is over OFCOURSE you're going to pass the written test!

I know you don't need it, but I'll wish you luck anyway!

Good luck yo!