Friday, December 21, 2007

Tha Old Hood

I was puttering around checking real estate prices. I happened on a spot that mentioned the prices of recent sales. So I checked the old neighborhood. Found three things interesting. My two closest neighbors houses sold recently. The one next door went for a nice price. And then sold again for a significantly smaller price shortly after. The neighbor behind me sold his too. For about a third less than it was on the market for when I was there. And my old house finally sold too. For $9,000 less than I sold it for myself! And mine was an "impending foreclosure, take what you can get, we're doing you a favor" kinda sale. And it needed a roof bad! The house behind mine sold for $7,000 more than mine did three years ago. But that was still $33,000 less than the last asking price I saw. Wow. Of course the downer is that the house next door is no longer owned by Mr. P. Wonder where he is now. May have to find his son, who lives on my cousin's block, and see.

Today is the day to appreciate those blessings that you didn't know you had.

6 comments:

CHA CHA said...

Correction my friend, you should appreciate your blessings....everyday...=)

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

So true.

Jazzy said...

It's scarey what's happening to real estate these days. Fortunately (or unfortunately - depends on how you look at it), the prices in NY and Northern NJ (where I live) are still maintaining their value, but all over the country, people who made bad choices (ARM loans, buying a house they couldn't afford, etc.) when buying their house are now losing those homes or being forced to sell for next to nothing.

It's really sad.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Yeah, I was just watching a business report recently and the analyst said that folk were in "fantasy land" because they were expecting to sell their homes for more than they were worth say two years ago. Or that they should expect the values to go down over the next year.

Jazzy said...

Imagine buying your house for $100K two years ago and trying to sell it now...only to be told it's only worth $80K. Sad. If you're not in it for the long haul, you're in trouble.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

I would be sick to my stomach just thinking about such a thing. On the other hand I am looking toward a purchase sometime soon. And a house I sent a listing to my wife for perusal dropped $20,000 in price in the last two weeks. I may be stacking cans at midnight sooner than I thought...