Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Mmmm.... Piiiieeee....

I baked pie y'all! See...

The story on these are that it was supposed to be a simple single pie to test the concept. Well. I went and bought 10 huge apples. Huge meaning roughly softball size. I peeled six of them before I started slicing them. I realized that only about half would fit in a deep dish Pet-Ritz (okay it was Meijer brand) pie shell. Yeah I cheated. So what? Anyway, too many apples. I finished assembling the innards of the first (the ugly one) pie. I attempted to top it with the second shell from the pack. That didn't go over too well. Turns out I let it thaw too much while it was in the pan. Okay, on to plan B. Kinda sucked because plan A allowed me to be lazy and not make pie crusts. What you gonna do? So I solved the sticky pie shell and over abundance of cut apple problems by making a second (the pretty one) pie! Of course I needed to break out the mixing bowls and such because there ain't nothing sadder than a topless fruit pie. Sooooooo... I got out the cookbook and got to mixing. This resulted in my first pie crust. I bet you can guess which pie that one went on! Since I the whole experiment was an exercise in learning, I learned that the recipe in the book makes one dry ass crust. So I improvised on the second. And of course pretty pie was the result. In fact that crust rolled out so nice that I had a bunch of extra dough. So of course I used them. Like I said, too much Food Network!

Things I learned.

  1. The book ain't a better cook than me.
  2. Bake longer, apples get softer.
  3. I watch too much damn Food Network (I am blaming The Wife for that!)
  4. I CAN DO PIE!
  5. Da hell with Pet-Ritz!
  6. Butter makes it better.
  7. Da next time I will tackle the butter crust! Of course that may make it taste so freakin' good that I will be tempted to "American Pie" the damn thing instead of eating it out!
Next up, solving the logistics of the Cookie Christmas Gifts! You know how many, what varieties, to whom?

10 comments:

Jazzy said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! Looka you BAKING!!! Bet that made the wife and kids happy. I love homemade applie pie...especially with some good vanilla bean ice cream.

I love The Barefoot Contessa and Emerald and Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay and Iron Chef America...yeah - I'm addicted too!

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

It would have if they had managed to get some. Well the wife still has a chance, but she need to get on the good foot.

Mmmmm.... Ice Creammmm...

Beana said...

LMAO at get on the good foot, prolly typin wit one hand, spoonful o'pie in the other.

aint nuffin sexier than a man baking. in an apron, black socks and slippers LOL

I do that with pineapple upside down cake. betta be in the kitchen when it is done otherwise you'll get a wiff, come and ask where the cake and im looking like...what cake?

Miss Snarky Pants said...

If stickin' a pot pie in the oven for 30 minutes counts then hell I.CAN.BAKE.TOO LOL

Lookin' good bruh...
Lookin' good!! :-)

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ thou who shalt be named J - black socks? LOL @ the pineapple cake induced amnesia. Especially when the kitchen smells like cake and pineapples!

@ Ms. - You know I never thought of it that way. Hell I been baking for decades if that be the case...

And thanks!

CapCity said...

mmmmm...pie! whyn'cha take & post a photo so i could have a virtual slice? LOL!

Anonymous said...

what up man

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ Cap - But I did post pics. I just put them on the other site. You gotta click the link!. I didn't snap none after I cut it though...

@ Yaz - Hey Yazzy. Been incognegro round these parts...

CHA CHA said...

MMMM I love apple pie...good job, YOU CAN DO PIE/..>LOL

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

I love doing pie. And I love apple pie too.