Monday, November 26, 2007

Whew!

Been a little bit busy around these parts! Since my last post much life has happened. Mom was admitted to emergency for hypertension, 260/160 to be exact. Since her blood pressure is hard to control she of course was admitted. This was actually a couple of days before the last post. Right after I published the last post (10 minutes) I was given the news that my Aunt had passed. That one cost me an hour of composure or so. Two days later I got news that a friend of the family, who shares a name with me, died of a heart attack. He was two years older than I and in (seemingly) far better shape. Never thought I would see the bathroom as a potential portal to another existence... And I found out that my cousin/brother from another mother was also in emergency for the exact same reason that mom had been (see numbers above). After that was preparations for Thanksgiving dinner, preparations for my mother's return home, preparations for funerals and preparations for a long weekend of time spent alone with my wife. Oh, and I got a new phone.

Plans have a way of going awry though. Mom's return home was delayed by a energy distribution issue. But she is finally back where she is supposed to be. Fortunately there is some good news on that front. Her doctor is a fault for this visit. Too worried about running her blood pressure too low, he prescribed an insufficient amount of medication to keep it from going too high. Now his ass is history, with us at least. I don't doubt he is a good doctor, but being overly cautious and not listening is not a good reason to get sued because I had to plan my own mother's funeral for something that could have been easily avoided. Besides, he works for a different hospital system than the one where she makes her hospital visits. Too much keeps getting lost in the transition. Fuck all that! Time for a new!

Plans with my wife also went awry. Thanksgiving with family then a hotel suite alone then funeral and post funeral family time. Well... The Thanksgiving with family part went off as planned. The only problem is that I didn't drink nearly as much as I thought I would. But I ate more so there was no room. Felt like I was deep into my third trimester when I was press ganged into manning the blender for the first round of Frozen Strawberry Daiquiris. I would put up a picture of the table but I don't have the cable to connect my phone to my computer. Ah well...

The hotel part is when things really went off track. Friday night was spent at her mother's house instead. And even though everyone else was gone for the night, somehow we still didn't manage to be alone that night. Saturday was the funeral. This one requires a whole nother post! But afterward I cut the family time short to pick up our plans again. Saturday from check-in to check-out ALONE! Didn't work out that way. Headed home to get some info, check on mom and such. Nearly got run over by a big ass pickup truck because he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. Fortunately there was a turn lane on the street we were on. I am talking UGLY otherwise. Ram 250 4X4 Vs Hyundai ugly! One cop close enough to see the accident kept going. Another was a block away at the White Castle. I wonder how long it took for one to show up at the accident site...

Anyway. We end up at the crib after deciding that drinks were in order after the close call. I walk in the house to find only the dog and my mom inside. You remember my mom right? The woman who can barely stand, much less walk? I saw my sister at the funeral, so I wasn't expecting to see her at the crib. However I didn't see either of her sons either. My mom thought they were in the driveway tinkering. Since there was no sight or sound of those who were supposed to be with her, we sat to stay a while. A half hour later my sister called looking for her sons. So they didn't go to gathering spot. So we waited some more... for like two hours. So by this time I am ready to kill, or stroke out. The left her alone for over two hours to go work on some cars. Their excuse was they were trying to get some money to buy mom some food. Of course there are several things wrong with that. First, if they needed money I could get some. I have access to her funds and I ain't about to let them run out before her next check. She do gotta eat!!!! Two, they know my damn phone number. Tres, She had two plates of food from Thanksgiving that she had yet to eat from. Quattro, she could have fallen trying to go to the bathroom, best case is she would have been on the floor until somebody came in the house and helped her up. BEST case. Cinq, Can anyone say FIRE? Sechs, The dog has not thumbs! So leashes and doorknobs would have presented some problems... Lastly, What the fuck? They only make pocket change IF the muthafukkas even pay their asses! That is more important than my mother's life? I betta stop now and go take my blood pressure pill...

Needless to say that my voice reached a timbre and intensity that few if any have ever heard before. But I ain't in jail. Self control is a good thing at times. And of course that also ruined the mood for the day. So my wife decided we needed a good drink, and a good steak too. Okay the steak was good. Belly busting porterhouses tend to be that way. Her drink was good. My two were...uninspired... The only thing they managed to do was make me sleepy. Either I was too pisst to get high or the bartender was bullshitting. Should have known I was in trouble when I asked for a drink recommendation and my server was not able to do so. She wasn't old enough...

So we managed to find a room anyway. Just to get away for ONE night. Found a little no-tell (with mirrors!) to kick back in. We managed to salvage what was one crazy ass day that ended a crazy ass week.

At least until we had to part. I got this in a text message three minutes after she pulled away. "I'm crying now". Just one more reason for me to hate Sundays...

4 comments:

Jazzy said...

Wow...that was a lot of crazy madness. Glad you exercised self-control and did not kill your nephews...even though it sounds like it would have been justifiable homocide. What were they thinking? Nehmind...don't answer that.

Glad to hear your mother is back home where she should be. And glad to hear you and the wife got to spend some quality time together!

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Glad I didn't have to answer that one. Might have hurt my brain to think in such a way to even be able to come up with an answer. i.e. like them...

Beana said...

awwww...look at it this way...yall had each other the whole time.

And trust ME when I tell ya...sometimes thats all we need to make it.

woo woo woo. I'm late as hell i know but woo woo woo anywayz!

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Late or not, I loves ya wheneva!