Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Day Of Remembrance

Today is the seventh anniversary of the worst terrorist attack committed on American soil. That is if you don't count the wars of previous centuries or various government policies...

The world has been an eventful place these last seven years. Because of this, that tragedy has become a thing that is fading from the minds of many who were not directly affected. You all have been living it as I have, so I need not get into the details.

But on that day, almost 3000 families lost loved ones. Why isn't really important today. That debate has gone on for a while now.

Since that day another 4100 or so families have lost loved ones in response to the attacks on that day. At least that is the chain of events we are being fed...

A cataclysmic event happened in 2005 which devastated a city and it's surrounding areas. Over 1800 died. Over 700 missing. Thousands and thousands of people displaced.

A day of elation and heartbreak in February of 1994.

The coldest day of my life happened in October of 1987.

I could go on. But I think you get the point.

Today is one of those days that should be set aside for remembering. Each of the above individual days is one that changed my life. Each event taught me something. Each event ended something that I did not want to end. Each event reminds me to remember the people and not the events. We have history books and documents for the events.

The other 4100 people also bear a lesson. But today is not for debating or teaching. Today is for remembering. And I shall remember again so the memories won't fade.

13 comments:

Jazzy said...

Ohhhhhhhh snap...I'm first! Been so long!!! OK...going back to read.

Jazzy said...

So eloquent...and so right. It's not a day to debate, but just for remembering. Wish someone would tell my co-workers that...many are complaining that there should be a memorial up by now...and to a degree they are right. But...I don't wanna hear it!

What happened in 1987? Am I being too nosey? Probably...just tell me to mind my own beeswax then.

LadyLee said...

This post really hit home with me... The event plus the fallout, the residual effects of it all is mind boggling. You're right. It's a day of remembrance. Not a day of debate. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Well said 2nd 68, well said.

It's sad that the event is being forgotten so soon. May the people always remember and be remembered.

Anonymous said...

I feel the exact same way.

RealHustla said...

Point WELL taken. Well taken.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ Diva 1 - Yes. You get the gold! I will have to post in time for you work bloggers once in a while so you get a shot at it here and there...

@ Diva 2 - Yeah. There should be SOME kinda memorial by now. But today ain't the day to bitch about it...
I will probably tell both stories at some point. And no, you aren't being too nosy. It's me remember?
Maybe I will relocate ya number and we can catch each other up or something...

@ Ladylee - Yeah. It is the fallout that builds the stories beyond the obituaries. The after effects often last a lifetime.

@ Freaky - Yeah. It even brings back memories of "almost". My Uncle Robert had a daughter at the Pentagon and one who worked in downtown NYC that day. You know he was sick as a dog until they called him.

@ Southern - See! I knew I liked you for more than a bootydo!

@ Real - Why thank you!

Jazzy said...

I'll give you a shout...maybe later tonight since I'm sure I'll just be home watching TV and trying to unglue Vanessa from my leg. oh joy!

Rashan Jamal said...

I hear ya, bruh!

mrs.tj said...

I remember it like it was yesterday...

Miss Snarky Pants said...

I said it on someone else's blog spot and I don't mind saying it again...

9/11 is a day that all of us won't soon forget.

The Addict said...

100% worthy of remembrance! What a day...can't believe it's been 7 years.

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.