Sunday, April 08, 2007

Black Racism

Occasionally I come across content on TV that is more than just mindless entertainment. I happened across Tyra the other day. She was doing one of those recap/revisit shows regarding racism. While the black/arab segment was somewhat compelling, the one that drew me in most was the segment on light skinned vs. dark skinned. While I believe that we are universally unhappy with being Black in America, it seems that others believe different. I have noticed that there is a definite bias between groups. That bias is mostly based on the "grass is greener" school of thought. The line between is usually drawn by the old "paper bag test". I have noticed that darker folk tend to hate on the lighter ones because of the "greater acceptance" of light skinned folk by society at large. On the other hand the lighter folk hate on the darker folk because of the "greater acceptance" of dark skinned folk within the black community. And of course there is the reciprocal resentment based on the above.

What you think?

I think I may have to start some shit in some chat rooms on this one...

3 comments:

Jazzy said...

I can't believe you admitted to watching Tyra, but I'm going to let that go.;-)

I agree with most of what you 'say', except the part about "lightskinned" folks hating on "darkskinned" folks because of some "greater acceptance" in the black community.

My grandmother is very very fair-skinned and in her day (30's, 40's), the big issue was that being 'too dark' meant you weren't 'good enough'. It was as though being lighter equated with being better and vice versa if you were the opposite.

This changed in my mother's day (60's, 70's). All of a sudden it was all about being pro-black and getting back to your African roots. At this time I could definitely see where there could have been a little more hate towards those with fairer skin because of course it meant you had more of 'mastah's blood'.

Today, I'm not sure the Black community talks about this so much. Could be that it's at the back of our minds though....can't say that I buy into it.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Well thought out and well stated.

However it is still there, just like that racism that white folk insist does not exist anymore.

Not saying that you are wrong or anything. Just that my observations over the last 39 years tell me different. And I tend to see things from an "outsiders" point of view. My genetic chart reads one way and visual cues tell a different story for those who don't bother to look close enough. Kinda keeps me out of the "in" crowd on both sides of the fence.

Jazzy said...

Somehow I missed this until just now...sowwie!

Veddy veddy interesting. I'm not that much younger than you Mr. 39 years old.

Do you think Black people treat you differently or don't feel you are Black enough because your "visual cues tell a different story"?