Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Americans with Opinions pt. 1

Just when I thought I was done with this whole Imus thing, they bring me back in!!!!
While getting updates on the shootings at Virginia Tech, I happened to surf away to other news. One particular thing that caught my eye was a commentary by Al Roker regarding the Imus/Rutgers thing. After reading Roker's commentary I proceeded to read the reader's comments. I was shocked by the things I read. You would think I would stop being surprised by the low minded thinking of the American people by now. There were a lot of people who were downright pissed that Imus lost his job! And a number of them spoke long and vehemently on why Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Al Roker, and well the entire Black community was at fault. Hell even rappers and the dancer from the Lacrosse team controversy got threw in there! Everyone who felt that Imus was the victim compared him to one or more of the above. They either said that the folk who were "after him" were even more guilty of being racists. Or they laid the inspiration for his bad actions on one of the above.

Truly amazing.

How you gonna go and blame a whole race of people for something like that. Saying 'If black people didn't say it first then he wouldn't have been able to hear it and repeat it' is completely idiotic. Just like my foremothers said "If all of your friends are stupid enough to jump off a bridge, are you gonna be dumb enough to jump off of it too?" I guess a lot of Americans with Opinions are too. Apparently so was Mr. Imus.

I was gonna rant for a while longer. But I am gonna quit on this one. Ain't got the strength for this much stupidity. It was a hurtful and disrespectful thing that he did. The controversy that it started is even worse. I shake my head. And I am done.

At least for now...

No comments: