Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Releasing Unshed Tears

I come to you today in a rather different mood than usual. I told myself that I was gonna stop coming here until I had something worthy of your time. Posting on the regular about the same old complaints is no way to treat the folk you don't hate. So I took a step back to work some stuff out. Of course some have found that I have filled that space with a bunch of time on Facebook. That time was well spent when not on Farmville or Mafia Wars. There I am reconnecting and engaging people more than ever before. I have even found a bit of clarity. I got there in no small part to Brother Brown Blogger. I am not sure he even realizes how much. Yet the struggle continues. I have yet the achieve the comfort level necessary to return here full time. I guess I feel now that time spent blogging could be time spent job searching. So I only show up occasionally these days...

As I said though, I come to you today in a rather different mood than usual. I thought I was keeping it together and everything was cool. I was lying to myself. I feel a hot damn blubbering mess. I feel that way because death has visited my family three times in the last 11 days. Three. As I said, I thought I was okay. But then I have realized that the memorial blog posts haven't been written. They aren't in draft. And tears were unshed. I guess I could blame my mood on a case of S.A.D.q and some Maxwell song lyrics, but that just don't cut it for my satisfaction.

I guess the whole life and death thing becomes very magnified at such an unusual time. Here one day, gone the next. Very philosophical and yet a very real and pressing issue. Makes you question things. If I were suddenly removed from this existence, how would it affect people? As it stands, right now my father's line would not continue through me. My wife's load would not be eased because disposing of my remains would fall on her and whatever family members who could help. These two things keep me awake at night. I am pretty comfortable with the rest of my legacy I guess. I have loved as best I can. I have taught as well as I could when I could. I have been as good a person as I could be (for the most part).

I guess there is a lot of pent up frustration along with a lot of sadness. That is the only thing that explains to me why a song had me losing control of my tear ducts and emotions. I guess thinking about the possible meanings of Pretty Wings and people being gone and the state of health and the fleeting nature of life opened the flood gates. I have had an opportunity to get up and move out into the world since I started this post. I have a little more perspective on the whole incident. And I am cool with what happened and why.

I guess my reaction was a bit delayed because of where I am in my life. The usual anger at not having any more chances was not there as much. There is still a little bit there. Being housebound, I couldn't get to see my Uncle Jack during his last days. But we spent much quality time before his last sickness. And I drunk a my fair share of his wine an was exposed to a bit more world culture than if he was not around. Hell, I might just do something unlike me and blaze one up on his behalf. It was one of his favorite hobbies. My Uncle Ronald I haven't seen in a bit. He been absent and such and we haven't run across each other. I regret that I didn't make it to his baby boy's funeral a couple of months back. As a result, I missed another opportunity with him... And I never got to know my cousin's husband really. They moved to Texas a while back. But she is extremely dear to me and sweet as pie. So I feel that loss more for her than for me.

I guess I will continue to worry until I can leave a little security blanket around for my wife. And I won't be all the way done with being here until I have left heirs for my family and the world. But I feel better now that I have shed some of those tears. I acknowledge that there is more love to be spread. There are more moments to share. There is still time to spend with those who are still here.

In fact I am gonna spend a little more time with the little visitor that is here right now. She finds nothing more hilarious than to run like mad and getting in my computer chair when she sees that I am not in it. Guess I gotta sit through some Beyonce and Ciara videos now...

p.s. Hassan, don't think I don't see the irony in me being on this side of this conversation today...

14 comments:

The Brown Blogger said...

I didn't have anything original to say so I just copy and posted what I wrote in my blog as a response:

It's not a crazy or unnecessary anger/lashing out at the world or a cry for help when 'the shit' hits you. I too think too damn much about how I will leave my wife and family when I die. I work overtime literally and figuratively to make sure she is taken care of so there is no additional burden. The specter of death, especially when it happens in bunches will make you think of yourself, but I am now just coming to an understanding on how to deal with 'the shit' and how to make it work in my favor.

The fear or respect of dying should motivate you in all that you do. The realization that you are still here is enough for me to realize that I should enjoy every moment like I do now. There will be time for work, sacrifice, nonsense and crying but know that you are still here. The creator has a masterplan.

Ya dig?

Bananas said...

This too shall pass. Not easily, and never completely, but it will pass.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ BB - I guess you said it better earlier on then!

@ Terry - Yes. This too...

LadyLee said...

I am so sorry for your losses...

Keep your head up, bruh... and don't hold things in. Shed those tears. With tears comes clarity.

Thanks for sharing...

Jazzy said...

a good cry never hurt nobody, says-she-who-hates-to-cry-in-front-of-anyone! But it's still true.

Sorry to hear about your loss...3 deaths in less than two weeks is a lot of sadness to deal with at once.

big hugs to ya!

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ Lee - Thank you for coming to be shared with.

@Diva - Thanks for the hugs. They are so nice coming from you! (And I have to say without fear of contradiction that big boobed hugs are the best anyway!!!)

Freaky Deaky said...

My condolences to you. I never really experienced death until later in life. That hit me like a ton of bricks that even I wasn't prepared for. A lot of memories got dredged up and my feelings & emotions were almost too much to bear. If you need to cry then cry until you can't cry any more. Your body will tell you when you're done.

They say life's a bitch and then you die. Well death is an even bigger one and it gets the last word. Hope you don't experience another for a very long time. Take care.

Anonymous said...

My condolences to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the losses that you and your family have suffered. My condolences to all.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

@ Freaky - I hope I don't run across another for a while myself.

Thank you all for the condolences. They are much appreciated.

The Addict said...

Guess who's rejoined society (and blogging)?

Very sorry for your losses. Looks like the Man Upstairs had plans for them. He always knows best.

In my absence, hope you and yours have been well! Can't wait to catch up on posts :-)

Umm Ibrahim said...

Oh my heart hurts :(

Jazzy said...

I can NOT believe you haven't posted this entire year yet. I was expecting a birthday post...something. sheesh!

Beana said...

sometimes u just gotta walk into an empty room cause u kno the person u missed was in here at some point so here I am.

But where are you?