Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Elation, Pain and Suffering.

Yesterday I literally could have killed somebody. Likely somebody at Ford. Or somebody in a Ford.

The backstory?

Well, I finally got a good contact for a little cheddar again. I mean a REALLY good contact. You know the kind where the recruiter starts sounding REALLY excited because they are about to make a mint off of your ass? Anyway, I had this really good conversation with this recruiter who had a really good feeling that she could get me in this position. I even played the gracious candidate where I threw her a good in-the-range rate and THEN compromised MORE to make prospects look even sweeter. She got as happy as I did. And I got pretty happy as hard as I tried not to. Probably because SHE sounded like she was gonna make bank too!

Lemme pause for a moment to hip y'all to the contract game, if ya don't already know.
Contract houses get job openings from their clients. Their job is to do the marketing and vett the personnel. They of course don't do this for free. In IT, it is not unusual for the contract house to make as much as, if not more than the actual talent. So if you ask for say $30 per hour, the contract house will probably ask the client for $60 per hour. You work at the client, you work for the contract house. The client does not have to pay benefits or worry about extra employees when the work is done. The contractor gets a higher rate in exchange for the lack of benefits or job security. The contract house basically double dips. They get paid for marketing and providing talent AND get a cut for getting the contractor the work. Everybody's happy!!!

Okay, fast forward to Monday. I make the obligatory and necessary follow-up contact. Me being full of hope was hoping to hear "Still thinking about it". NO!!! No such luck. I get "For some reason they put the position on HOLD!!!" WTF? ON HOLD?!?!?!?!?!?!? Now all of a sudden either there is no work or they aren't sure? On Friday the client was being picky. For those who don't understand why I am outraged, I will explain further.

Excitement on the part of the recruiter means that recruiter sees themselves getting another bonus. Which means that the candidate is a near slam dunk for the job. Expectations were high (I know I shouldn't have...) The putting a job "on hold" is the HR version of the pocket veto. Kinda like taking the job off of the market without actually taking it off the market.

What that all means is...

Essentially I just got it with no vaseline

5 comments:

Ms. Behaving said...

Ouch...that sucks!

Keepin' my fingers, eyes and toes crossed that things start lookin' up for ya!

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Yeh, it really does.

Thanks for all the crossings though!

You know I love you more than the rest right?

Of course if one of the others that I love more than the rest comes in, I may have to publicly deny that any such statements have been made...

Anonymous said...

Oh so just because I haven't been around for a while, now all of a sudden you picking favourites?! lol

Damn that is a piss take!! I hope things get better very soon.

Freaky Deaky said...

That sucks like a tranny hooker. Not that I know of a tranny hooker's sucking prowess but I'd imagine it sucks like that. Ok probably not.

Hopefully, the HR department only suffered from a brief cheap attack and once the work stacks up and they get chewed out by someone high enough on the food chain the position magically reappears.

MsKayotic said...

Ahh thas some bullshit! Sorry. When stuff like this happens it makes you wanna just cuss! It will work out in the end! Keep at it!